Problem Parrots Welfare organisation
Please log in and join the fun, if you are having problems please email:
info@problemparrots.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in and join the fun, if you are having problems please email:
info@problemparrots.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello!!

+8
**SHELL**
Michelle
JusDave
margy
parrotmum
Scarlett
Di T
kaye1985
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hello!! Empty hello!!

Post by kaye1985 Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:41 pm

hiya my name is kaye i recently became the owner of harry my senegal parrot. Hes not had the best start to life i actually met him when i went to buy someones sofas and in the corner of the living room was harry in a very small cage with no toys and his cage was stinking, instead of offering to buy the sofa i said i will give you the money for the parrot, from what i have found out he has had quite a few homes and hes only about 12 months old so understandbly he is unsure of people will try and bite you if you try to smooth him. Since he has been with me he has changed into a lovely big cage and has lots of toys which he was very scared of wouldnt go anywhere near them but hes slowly getting use to them will give them odd pushes with his beak.! I have however had him on my lap (with a towel) hardly holding him and stroked his head and neck and he started to fall asleep and when i let him go he walked on my leg for awhile before flying off.. When im in the room he follows my every move and shows off when my partner is not in the room, its ashame hes had such a horrible start as he is a lovely boy i expect he will never bee 100% and might always have a nip in him but as long as he's happy and healthy than thats all that matters..
Would love to get to know other people on here and share stories and experiences so i can be the best owner possible and let harry have a long life.. i have looked after my friends miliatry macaw but harry is my 1st parrot that i own! look forward to hearing from you all x Very Happy

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

hello!! Empty Re: hello!!

Post by kaye1985 Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:42 pm

and diana sent me here!! Very Happy

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:14 pm

hello!! 247782
Hi Kaye, pleased you found the forum. Very Happy
Hope you can send us some pics of Harry soon
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlett Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Senegals can be such fun loving birds and it`s so lovely to hear you have taken him on.
It sounds like the poor fella has had a bad start but it`s amazing how, in time, they are so forgiving.

Our Macaws are all rescued and our Severe Macaw Harley suffered abuse being dragged out of the cage by his neck, and then the next owner shutting him away.
We`ve had Harley 3 years now and he`s very bonded to me, he has learnt to trust me and has no issues with my hands being near him now.
He does nip sometimes but I think that goes for most birds, rescues or not.

I`ve never kept Senegals but I have a close friend who does, well 2 actually and they are absolutely adorable.

Scarlett x
Scarlett
Scarlett

http://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kaye1985 Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:28 pm

thats sounds horrible, poor harley!! just cant understand why/how people can be so cruel..! i hope he will forgive in time hes change quite abit in the time we have had him and seems very happy, hes even starting to know when hes coming out the cage and gets ready.. i do everything for him from the feeding to the cleaning and he watches me but the whole family talk to him, and i have noticed he does like to watch my kids playing. we had been talking about getting some sort of parrot for ages before we had him we were just in the right place at the time, and glad the girl accepted my money! will never need a new home now thats for sure!! just ashame i will never know anything about his past...

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 pm

My Sennies love dunking pieces of fruit or biscuit in their drinking water! does Harry do this!!! they are doing it right now with an unsalted crisp. Laughing
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by kaye1985 Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:05 pm

no havent seen him do that.. he is just chucking nuts/seeds around at the mo doesnt want to come out!!

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotmum Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 pm

hello and welcome good for you saveing the senny i have 9 senny's and they are all full of caracter.
parrotmum
parrotmum
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by margy Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Kaye

We rescued a sennie and gave him a reason to live after his owner had died, he now has a lovely home with kasuku on here!

He's still very cage bound as the original owner didn;t let him out of the cage for at least 9 years that we know of.

he is with another sennie now that is the cuddiest of birds, not in the smae cage but you never know in the future what will happen!

Gorgeous little birdies, very friendly, very angry looking Rolling Eyes

I hope Harry has found his niche in life the poor little baby! I don't know how people can be so nonchalant about birds feelings! He does sound as though he's settleing down and relaxing though doesnt he?
margy
margy
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by JusDave Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:42 pm

hello!! 247782
JusDave
JusDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am

Hello there and welcome to the forum!! Laughing
Michelle
Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post by **SHELL** Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:44 am

hello and welcome Smile
**SHELL**
**SHELL**
very chatty
very chatty

http://www.problemparrots.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kaye1985 Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:34 am

thanks every1 Very Happy i think hes settling nicely for the amount of time just hope theirs room for more. I cant get over what good jumpers they are he jumps everywhere in his cage with no help from his wings! diana mention a few fruit options so i got him a pomeranet (sorry im not very good at spelling) hes still picking out the apple at the moment but im sure when my back is turnt he will try it..
will put some pictures up of him later and show you all what a lovely boy he is!! Very Happy well if i do say so mysef..lol..

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:45 am

Are you hoping to offer a home to another bird in the near future then Kaye?

You never know someone on here may be able to help in due course.

Really looking forward to seeing his photo. Very Happy
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Miramis Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 am

Hello and welcome! Smile

Well done you, for taking him out of an enviroment that seems just horrid!! Im sure he will come on in leaps and bounds now that he has a new secure home! Smile

And yes, our Sennie LOVE dunking his food in the water, making pellet soup for a start and then fruit and veg go the same way. We solved a bit of the problem by putting his waterbowl on the other side of the cage, and not next to his foodbowl. He still carry things over every now and then though, but not the pellets which makes things a lot easier Smile

Sazu loves his fruit; apples, pear, orange, grapes, bananas all go the same way.. down to the bottom of the cage to forage around with later! Rolling Eyes lol. He's nuts about..err.. nuts however!

And yep, Sazu loves jumping too, they are great to watch aren't they! Very Happy Looking forward to seeing photos of him!

Best of luck, Im sure you both have many lovely years to look forward to!

/Nina
Miramis
Miramis

Back to top Go down

Post by kaye1985 Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:02 am

i would love to have another bird at some stage, would be nice to have one like harry who hasnt had a very good start to life. I got 2 be honest i do have a soft spot for cockatoo's always have done but will have to wait and see im in no rush, me and my partner are trying to get an outside aviary sorted think harry would love it, but to be honest we are kind of stuck on what to do and what to use.. but im sure we wil get it sorted.
i dont think he dunks anything in his water because its not that dirty when i clean it, but his 2 food bowls (one for pellets and nuts and one for the fruit) are on one side of cage and the water on the other. really only did that because when i moved him into the bigger cage he wouldnt move around the cage so i thought put them in different places he has to move to get to them all...
Hes definately getting better hes getting more curious by stuff the toys he has in his cage that hes never touched hes starting to push them with his beak so thats a good sign, hes full of the beans this morning jumping around using everything he can! and hes being very vocal this morning, love the dropping bomb noise he does...
And harry does the whole chucking it out all ver the place then goes looking after, but he does love apple it was the 1st fruit i gave him and when i gav eit to him for the 1st time he grabbed it and chucked it but straight after was playing with his tongue, i went out into the kitchen wasnt their long and he was on his perch with that apple in his hand.. really dont think he had much or any fruit when we had him!
but i can tell you from the bird i met at the girls house hes changed alot, even my mum who isnt fond of birds has said he looks perkier which and bigger she reckons, but the cage he is in is huge so maybe thats why!?
i could talk about him all day lol.. but beta not lol

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotmum Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:04 am

i have a few that prefare there food wet so dip it in the water just like we dip our bisciuts in tea. Smile
parrotmum
parrotmum
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by kaye1985 Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:16 am

i have some pics but they wont load on 2 here can anyone help ?? scratch im not very good with stuff like this..lol..

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotmum Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:18 am

have you got photobucket if so cut and paste the image off there.
parrotmum
parrotmum
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by kaye1985 Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:30 pm

i havent a clue..lol..

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Photobucket is a free website www.photobucket.com You can then upload your photos on to here, it should tell you how to do it. Then you can select the one you want to put on here by clicking under the photo on img code that will hold it for copy. Come onto this forum then click paste, and then send - fingers crossed it works!!
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by hollie Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Harry sounds like a very happy bird now! It also sounds like he's come on loads since he's been with you. I'm owned by a sennie too, he's got a lot of, ahem, I suppose you could call it character, but most call it anger management issues Very Happy but he loves me, which is fine most of the time!
hollie
hollie
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasuku Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Kaye,

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to be.

Harry sounds far nicer than any sofa Very Happy , so glad you chose him to bring home and look forward to hearing all about him in the future.

I've always been an African Grey person until a certain little sennie arrived at my home, and then, recently, another too. Fantastic little birds, big personalities and so different from each other, just like people Laughing

Sue
Kasuku
Kasuku

Back to top Go down

Post by kaye1985 Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:51 pm

i will give the photo bucket a go in the morning! im really not very good with things like this..lol. might have to get the other half to look!!
harry definately has character hes been a very vocal and active bird 2 day jumping around his cage, climbin all around very werid?! but it was the kids 1st day bk in skool and the 1st time hes seen us do it, wonder if thats y?? also hes got an corner cage which we have put on a wall bit in our living room so the floor of his cage is level with the sofa and i always sit in the same place right by the cage hes been coming dwn 2 the floor right by the side of me but if i look at him he quickly moves away..
yes i think he was a much beta purchase than ne sofa..lol..
gonna spoil him 2 some more toys tomorrow thinking i mite get some u can hide treats and stuff in and c how he gets on Smile and i have noticed he does not like his reflection.. or is that normal??

kaye1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi Kaye

How is Harry getting on? hello!! 427518
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down