Problem Parrots Welfare organisation
Please log in and join the fun, if you are having problems please email:
info@problemparrots.co.uk

hello all

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: hello all

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Even with a baby there is no guarantee that it will remain lovely, cute, cuddly, tame etc. I have my grey because it was soft as butter for the first two years of his life and then when the hormones kicked in he completely changed and was no longer lovely and cuddly - after twelve months of trying to manage she sold him as he was no longer the bird she wanted. Shocked
He is strong and independent and loves his Dad and I adore him regardless of his 'independence' but all i'm saying is do not assume a cuddly tame baby will remain so whatever the breed.
There are some adorable birds that are rescue birds and you can take time to find one that will suit your family. Just because they need a new home doesnt always mean they have issues. - just a thought and good luck with your research for birdy two x
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by steve75 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi Gadge

Welcome to Problem Parrots

Lovely birdie

Question where did you get the ceiling hanging java thing from??

With regards to species the three you have chosen are all so different and all as equally amazing birds!

Its a hard choice but always go with your heart!

www.problemparrots.co.uk
steve75
very chatty
very chatty

http://www.problemparrots.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:02 am

woodlandtreespirit wrote:Even with a baby there is no guarantee that it will remain lovely, cute, cuddly, tame etc. I have my grey because it was soft as butter for the first two years of his life and then when the hormones kicked in he completely changed and was no longer lovely and cuddly - after twelve months of trying to manage she sold him as he was no longer the bird she wanted. Shocked
He is strong and independent and loves his Dad and I adore him regardless of his 'independence' but all i'm saying is do not assume a cuddly tame baby will remain so whatever the breed.
There are some adorable birds that are rescue birds and you can take time to find one that will suit your family. Just because they need a new home doesnt always mean they have issues. - just a thought and good luck with your research for birdy two x

thanks for the advice appreciated

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:09 am

steve75 wrote:Hi Gadge Question where did you get the ceiling hanging java thing from??

hello steve. thanks for the welcome.

i got the stand from a local selling advert for £30. ive owned it for about 6 weeks now and in that 6 weeks ive serched high and low for another to find out info about it and its "buy new" price.
i cannot find another for sale in the UK. i found thats its made by the company "kings cages" . if you google image search "kings cages java swing" you will see images for it.
but i can only seem to find it for sale in the USA. and i think around $90 there
as you will see from google images its a plain frame stand. myself has added all the extras like - food pots, rope ladders, toys, and spiral rope stairs.

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by hollie on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:30 am

Hello and welcome to the forum! Snowy looks a very happy birdie!( And tell him not to worry, I still call our grey he sometimes, and hes a she!)
hollie
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:38 am

thanks hollie . how olds your grey and whats she like with people ?

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by hollie on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:08 am

As far as we are aware, she's now seven, but that's only going on what we were told. She adores my partner Ash, will tolerate me stepping her up off the top of the cage, will bite me if she's anywhere else on the cage. She's ok with other people once she's off the cage, but you can tell she's not really bothered about spending time with them! She's phobic about pretty much any kind of toy, she's pretty quiet, and she's not very keen on other birds, and she's terrified of lola. She isn't fowardly aggressive with the kids, but she would nip fingers if they went in the cage!
hollie
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:28 am

thanks for the reply. im trying to get info on parrots so i can choose my 2nd one.

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasuku on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Gadge, welcome to the gang, we have loads of fun and learn a lot here too.

You're birdie's stunning and it's a nice idea to get another one for company, if even they don't become bosom friends they can talk and bounce off each other. That java toy's great, I'm sure if we asked Scarlett she could find those for us, she finds everything else Very Happy

Don't have any experience of Toos (only of Margy's, and love 'em), greys, senegals and budgies own this house.

Sue
Kasuku

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 am

Mainly African Greys here too, though there are a few others as well!! Wink most of my birds have various problems though and are all rescues. I do love greys they will always have a special place in my heart, they are amazing birds. I can't resist a grey in need.
Toos are wonderful characters as well. Oh they all are! Its a hard decision!
My daughter has two Eclectus and absolutely adores them. They are stunning birds too.
Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 am

Kasuku wrote: That java toy's great, I'm sure if we asked Scarlett she could find those for us, she finds everything else Very Happy

ye i hear scarlett is very good . would be good to find out its new price. if its going off any of the other kings cages items it wont be cheap lol

it hangs down about 4 foot x 1 foot 6 inch x 1 foot 6 inch square . so it is quite large and very heavy. the bracket is super heavy duty made by a steel worker. i had to bolt the huge wood bolts into the ceiling wooden beams

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by margy on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm sure that Beck Bird Barn used to do stuff like that Steve!
margy
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealMacaw on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Unfortinately becks does not do Java Towers anymore a couple of months ago I bought a crate of old discontonued java toys and there where a couple of medium java towers in the crate. We placed them in the Greys avairy and for a week or two they loved them then someone decided that chewing through the rope was more fun so we were left with a pile of java sticks on the floor.
TheRealMacaw

Back to top Go down

Post by margy on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Yes that's about right, bought some of the java fish for the aviary and my two greys have left all the java bits all over the floor after chewing the ropey bits too!
margy
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:38 pm

re-thread the java with chain Twisted Evil that'll stop those greys Very Happy . I got quite a cheap tower thing that we hang from the ceiling its only about 6inches wide but about 3 foot high - i think I only paid £10 for it and Jon attached a perch to the bottom of it that then it has a bell, hoops and a swing on it. Thankfully Penzo doesnt seem to kill the rope - but he isnt a normal grey cyclops
they are great in a smaller room as they dont take up floor space - you just have to remember to duck when walking round the room drunken
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:44 pm

ye mines right in a corner as close to the corner as i could get it. had to bolt it to the wooden beams in the ceiling.

mine hangs 4 foot and is 1 foot 6 inch square . and its bloody heavy lol

my cockatoo isnt a chewer. well he is but i always hang new palm leaf woven for him and he loves shredding that

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 pm

This is penzo's one - nothing fancy but he likes it Surprised
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 pm

ye thats the most important thing really.
i didnt plan on buying my stand. just seen it advertised on a local selling group on facebook for £30 so i went for it. i'd only had my parrot a week so stands didnt cross my mind. i wanted one of the floorstanding stands but short on space so i just added the food pots and toys to this stand so it doesnt get in the way and he loves it up there.

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadge on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:52 pm

with the correct sized wood peices this stand will be easy to make.
i re-built it using 10mm thick sisal natural rope and its easy to put back together.

Gadge

Back to top Go down

Post by steve75 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 pm

I need a big one as well for the macaws!!

Scarlett are you listening xxxx please find lol x

www.problemparrots.co.uk
steve75
very chatty
very chatty

http://www.problemparrots.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2