Problem Parrots Welfare organisation
Please log in and join the fun, if you are having problems please email:
info@problemparrots.co.uk

New member mike

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New member mike

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 am

Hi I'm new here looking for advice for me and my eclectus Charlie ..
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Re: New member mike

Post by hollie on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:06 am

Hi mike and Charlie welcome to the forum! Charlie is beautiful, how old is he?

very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 am

Hi Mike
Charlie looks lovely. How long have you had him and what sort of advice are you after? There's plenty of folk who can help.
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 am

Hi holly and di Charlie is 10 years old but I've only had him around 18 months when I got him he was like he is now but I managed to gain his trust and he became quite good with me sitting with me on my shoulder and I could tickle and stroke him a few months ago he got my lip and it hurt as you can see from the size of his beak haha. And I lost my confidence and it gone down from ther he won't even let me touch him now and started to scream loudly I just don't no what to do.. I tried again this morning to pick him up and he bit me again so any help would be appreciated thanks .
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 am

Oh no.! not surprised you lost your confidence.

Has he always been a pet bird? Does he go to any one else in the family? had anything changed at home?

The PP advisors will be along and give you some advice in due course, and any one else who has or had a similar problem.

In the meantime, keep calm, keep talking gently to him and perhaps not touch him for now, let him see that you are a friend not a foe.
Change of circumstances for him means it could take a while to settle down properly.

Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am

When I got him a young couple had him and he was kept in there kitchen locked in his cage . Since I've had him he is in my living room never locked in sits up on top of the cage door then just pops in when he hungry and then at night to sleep but the doors still open . He still shouts out his name and laffs and whistles and stuff so I don't thinks he's unhappy another strange thing is when I put the Hoover on he will bath in his water bowl so I put it on for him each afternoon haha. He does like that . I don't no what else to do.
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 am

He sounds happy enough, just that he's decided he will bite you!
On here we have Parrotmum aka Mandy who has male Eclectus too as well as many others, she is a PP advisor as is Hollie and Shell, so when they come on-line I am sure they will be able to help you.

Hubby cannot touch or go near my B/F Amazon Tommy or he will get badly bitten, Tommy has decided he likes me the best in this household! Our smaller parrots go to either of us.
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am

I'm the only one that would actually hold Charlie anyway as the kids have been a bit weary of his beak and when they have seen bite me especially so I wouldn't want them getting bitten maybe he just wants to be left alone and likes human company from a distance as he likes it in a evening when the family sat in living room with him he laffs along with us I just don't no what's happend to him I've been considering rehome him and start again I no that's not the answer but that's the way I feel at the moment.
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Well decision is yours, shame though to pass him on as it sounds like he's settled and happy within the family. And even starting again there's no guarantee that another bird would not bite you etc.

Give folk time on here to respond to you. Many are at work so won't log on until later.
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasuku on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum Very Happy

Charlie is stunning, what a beautiful boy, it would be a shame to rehome him, I'm sure with help, patience and unconditional love you will get back the trust you had, after all he hasn't been with you very long on the scale of things.

Have you tried getting him to step up on a long perch and walking around with him for short distances, talking to him, then putting him back on his cage. That is a beginning again, he's a smart boy, he will sense your fear and play on it, don't let him win Very Happy He has many years of non-contact before he came to you by the sound of things. He has obviously not been handled much and it's new to him, maybe the same thing happended to the family he was with before so they kept him locked in. Bear with him Mike when it all come right it will be a bond that is very precious, like no other experience. People here will be able to give you loads off good advice.

Look forward to learning how you get on.

Sue
Kasuku

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi sue and thanks for your encouragement I feel a lot more confident with Charlie already I will try the stick thing with him he does still wonder around the house through to the kitchen Charlie is a really clever bird and I think he no when thinks are not right and that may be freakin him out a bit. But in time I think we will sort it out as we do love Charlie and with the help you you guys I will do it. So anyone with any more advice I'm more the willing to listen ..
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasuku on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Good for you Mike. Bless him, he obviously is at home with you all, that's brilliant. We've all got birdies on here, and the bites and scars that come with them some of them, but most things are solvable and in Charlie's case I'm sure it will be OK Very Happy You just have to start again from the beginning, slowly and surely and gain confidence in each other.

Sue
Kasuku

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasuku on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Just had a thought, you could also try wrapping a towel securely round your arm and get him to step up, have a short chat and then put him down again on his cage and give him a favourtie treat, treats work wonders.

Sue
Kasuku

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Yes sue I will try that with a towel and his fave treats are monkey nuts but only give him one as they say they not good for them.
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotmum on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi mike and a very warm welcome. Please don't give up on charlie he will be hormonal at the moment also he is still getting used to like you are getting used to him. The ekky's are crafty if they learn that they can scare you he will. my sonny jim try's to bite me if i put my hand in his cage and ask him to step up so i wait until he is out of his cage and then he will step up but sometimes they can be moody so i will use a stick to step him up. The name of the game is patience and once he learns to trust you and know that you are there to love and help him he will come around. I have a male and female ekky's and they are totally different. the only thing that both of them dislike is being tickled or touched on there head like most birds. As for his alarm call he used to do it all the time so i would just whisper to him and he would stop to hear what i was saying to him and now he only doe's it if someone knocks on the door or he doe's not know them.

very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Hello parrot mum so your the Elkky expert well I just rang home and they said Charlie hasn't been screaming so that's a start it must have done him good when I was talkin with him earlier he did look at me tho he understands me haha well hope things get better now . He will be waiting for me finish work to share my tea .. I've tried post pics I not worked that out yet..
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotmum on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Gosh im no expert the birds have taught me . if you use photobucket and copy the image code then post it on your reply that works.

very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Mike
Just in from work - with a bird screaming its head off at me affraid haha they get upset here if we dont make a fuss of them first!
So pleased you found the forum. Charlie is so so beautiful and I am pleased your here to try for some help. Everyone is so friendly on this site and know their birdies
You have a few things to try for now so hang in there and see how you go.
just keep asking and letting us know how things are going. Remember these amazing creatures pick up on the slightest of things and if you are stressed or expecting a bite they WILL know. Keep positive and calm and you'll be surprised how much some positive thought can help xxx
It is normal for a bird to have a noisy patch during the day - in this house its about 10 am and then again around tea time! So some shouting is normal just do as the others have said and try whispering or singing - singing works with our Hahns as many know can be a noisey little monster (we love her regardless and her singing is priceless so soon calms any stress from the shouting!) I'm waffling - i'll go
Just welcome to you Mike and beautiful Charlie
Kate x
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi Kate glad you invited me here its been so helpful just got in from work and shared a bit of pizza crust with Charlie haha he really likes that he is usually very good at night just sits there and like crunches his beak think that means he ready for bed so alls good for now thanks everyone . Keep your help coming ...
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Beak grinding with Greys is usually a sign of being content and relaxed - I imagine its the same with eckies
xx
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm

I hope so Kate haha but his beak doesn't seem to be warring down he grinds all his food to even kiwi fruit .
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike.wigan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 pm

And what's it with the Hoover haha is it normal for him to bath himself anyone else's parrot do it..
Mike.wigan

Back to top Go down

Post by margy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Mike, it's quite normal with the hoover thing, many parrots prefer a bath when it's on........mine excluded.

Charlie sounds as though he is settled and happy with you, you need to perservere with him and he will be you friend, sounds as though he's that anyway now.....but as people have said, you've shown him fear and he has the upper hand. Be brave, towel around the arm, hand perch, or long perch and take him for a walk and talk to him all the time.

He will love you for it..and vice versa.

the male ekkies I've known are as soft as a brush! Even got one as a boyfriend!

margy
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:39 pm

I read another post about that somewhere - its something to do with vibration i think - dont quote me - animal senses - what they see, hear, taste etc are completely different to us. It makes you wonder how they see us alien and they are obviously deaf or they'd be a little quieter Very Happy
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm so jealous Margy - i'm falling for male eckies in a big way xx
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next