Problem Parrots Welfare organisation
Please log in and join the fun, if you are having problems please email:
info@problemparrots.co.uk

New member from York

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New member from York

Post by ken s on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi all
I have no birds at the moment as we had Sam our B&G put to sleep on 22nd Dec 2013, will expand on this in a while. I first started keeping birds when my daughter got a cockatiel about 25 years ago. She then asked if we could have an aviary in the garden so it grew from there. Budgies, all manner of finches, quails and my personal favorite (at the time) rosella's. We did for a while breed rosella's but with all the other birds it was a lot of commitment for a young girl and the interest waned. We had a problem with local kids and one evening I came home to find the aviary doors open and most of the birds were out, not all had flown and got some of them back but as I was having trouble getting buyers for the chicks as we did not have the internet in them days so I decide to close the aviary down.
I am sorry to say but my life was a bit empty with no birds so I decide to get a Macaw. I read everything I could for about a year and decided to go to a show at the Birmingham NEC just to look around. To cut a long story short we went into a large walk in Aviary and as I was talking to the guy running it a very young B&G flew down and landed on a rail by us, he was on my hand up my arm and bit my ear that was it he was mine.  Very Happy He had been raised by the guy but the new owners had sold him back as they could not get on with him or more to the point their dog could not get on with him.
We had Sam for 13 years and in all that time he only went to the vet apart from being chipped and his yearly MOT on one occasion and that was because we kept Sam in our conservatory that had a 6000 gallon koi pond in it and when we went away we sent him to the guy that always does our parrot sitting and about a week after we got him back I noticed a discharge from his nostrils, samples were taken and test came back clear and all it was was the change from a dry environment to the humidity of the conservatory.
In November 2013 I was out in our back garden working and Sam would usually be hanging on the flight or in his box shouting at me but I noticed he was on a perch in the back corner of his flight, I went in to see him (More for a brake than anything) and noticed he was panting very heavily, my wife had a friend round but I said "I have just put Sam away in his cage and we need to get him to the vet as soon as possible" I phoned the vet and we boxed Sam up and we were away. Sam was put on oxygen and perked up 100%, it was decided to do xrays and to scope him. We waited at home and were told to come and pick him up. When we got there he was off the oxygen and although groggy from the aesthetic looked much better. The vet said his lungs are clear but there is a lot of mucus in his windpipe, we discussed what if anything we had changed and there was noting he was still going out in the flight most days his cage was the same, I had changed the perches in his flight but they had come from our garden plum tree, (I now know NOT recommended) the only other thing that had changed was that I had bought some English walnuts and they were still in the husks and dark brown and damp when I had been giving them to him. We treated Sam with a broad spectrum antibiotic until the results came back and we bought a humidifier as we had now moved his cage into the living room. The bloods came back in a couple of days and they were OK except for a massive white blood cell count of 45, s there was a bid infection somewhere. We waited for the cultures to come back and it was agreed to carry on with the antibiotics as these seemed to be the best on the cultures but Sam was loosing weight rapidly. I returned to the vet as he was not getting any better and more xrays were taken and he was scoped again, the growth of mucus in his wind pipe was now black in colour and his left lung was now infected. The vet said it was a very aggressive form of asperglosis. We kept on with the treatments but it was obvious he was now struggling to keep himself up on the perches I made a nest on the top of his cage with towels. I phoned the vet and told him I needed to see him as I wanted to discuss if we carried on or not, in my view I was keeping Sam going for my own selfish interests and it was not in his best interest to carry on. We went to the surgery and it was decided to put him to sleep. We had an autopsy done and it was confirmed that it was asperglosis but we were unable to tell where it came from.
I said at the time that I was not going to get another bird, then that changed to I am not getting another macaw and now that has changed to I am not getting another B&G. The house is not the same without a bird to come home to. My wife and I both went on the internet and looked at what birds we were most attracted to and We have (I think) set our sights on Eclectus, we did pick opposites ie I liked Vosmari hens and she likes the male birds, so I think we may be looking for a pair.
We have met with a local breeder but he has no Eclectus that he is putting together this year, but we are all going to the Newark show and he is going to introduce us to a breeder he knows that may be able to help us.
Keeping my fingers well and truly crossed.
Sorry went on a bit  Smile 
Ken S

ken s

Back to top Go down

Re: New member from York

Post by parrotmum on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:43 pm

hello and welcome ken S. im sorry for your loss. sounds like you have caught the parrot bug, i have male and female electus along with lots of others they are such caracters. Smile 

very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi Ken   
Such a sad story I am so very sorry, it is so hard losing a beloved pet be it bird or other specie. And in the scheme of things Sam wasn't that old.
Hope you can find the birdies you feel you would like to live with now, I agree the home is empty without them. Plenty of folk on here can help and advise about a variety of birds.
Di
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by DizzyBlue on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi Ken and welcome to the forum from me and my flock. Really sorry to hear of your loss really heart breaking.  I would like to offer just one word of advice before your bring another feathered treasure into your home and life you probably have already done it but just in case.... Get some F10SC and fog the entire house incase of asper spores lurking anywhere.  If you contact Scarlett (scarlett parrot essentials website) I am sure she will have some in stock if you haven't already done it.  Not wishing to teach my grandmother to suck eggs as they say but better safe then heartbroken. Might see you at Newark I like to pop to the shows, I want to go see what new aviaries a breeder friend of mine has on display, its time i got some of my indoor gang an outdoor flight so they can annoy the neighbours instead of having outdoor large cages better if they blow off some steam out there if the weather is good Very Happy
DizzyBlue

http://purestparrot.moonfruit.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DizzyBlue on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Did you use Battleflatts vets? I'm in a village east side of Hull Smile
DizzyBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlandtreespirit on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Hello Ken and welcome. That was heartbreaking and a lesson to many I think so many thanks for sharing. We occasionally get Electus coming up for rehoming but not that often. But there are other birds coming in on the rehoming side if you were interested?
Welcome again
Kate
woodlandtreespirit

Back to top Go down

Post by ken s on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi all thanks for the welcome sorry it was a negative one to start with, Yes DizzyBlue I am with Battleflatts. when we had the smaller birds in the aviary I was with Minster vets but felt I knew as much as them so moved to Battleflatts all all our pets have been registered with them for some years now. Thanks for the info on F10SC I have completely bleached the outside flight and his cage, all perches and toys have been removed and dumped his old shelter (Is in the process of being removed). I do have a problem in that about a quarter of the flight is planted into soil and bark chippings so will be removing them but its all got to come through the house. Sad 
Just been chatting with a breeder that is hand feeding some Eclectus that should be ready for the Stafford show, will chat with him at Newark and see how the land lays. Thanks
Ken S

ken s

Back to top Go down

Post by DizzyBlue on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:03 am

If your going to Newark and Stafford check out Dave Moody's (AviFab aviaries) he has some absolutly fab designs - i know your not looking to have a new aviary but his are well worth noseying at some really fab designs Very Happy am planning some new ones this year myself with all the extra feathered friends that seem to have moved in.
DizzyBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotmum on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:25 pm

He he you've caught the parrot bug.

very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down