Problem Parrots Welfare organisation
Please log in and join the fun, if you are having problems please email:
info@problemparrots.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in and join the fun, if you are having problems please email:
info@problemparrots.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello everyone!

+5
hollie
steve75
diane
margy
lulum2
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hello everyone! Empty hello everyone!

Post by lulum2 Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:21 pm

hi everyone! just joined the group and didn't know where to say hi so opened a new topic! sorry! I have rescued a 22 year old M2 called Lulu and have had her three months. She has a terrible history of self mutalating and feather plucking. She is the sweetest most loving girl and is much adored by all of us, I would love to share her story with you all and put some pictures up to show you our beauty. We have two dogs a German Shepherd called Freyja and a Great Dane a. I have had so much support and help from Steve here , he's been fantastic! Hi :Steve! Very Happy

lulum2

Back to top Go down

hello everyone! Empty Re: hello everyone!

Post by margy Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:30 pm

I'd love to hear Lulu's story and some photo's too! I love Too's!

hello to you and doggies too Laughing
margy
margy
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 pm

hi there! i will put up her pics soon! are they your birds on your post? they are beautiful!! Very Happy

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by diane Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Look forward to reading Lulu's story, we have a photo competition every month and the winner is put on the main site for the world to see Smile
diane
diane

Back to top Go down

Post by steve75 Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi deb

Finally your here

Love lulu she's one lucky bird to have found you

S
steve75
steve75
very chatty
very chatty

http://www.problemparrots.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by steve75 Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Deb

Moved the topic to the right section

If you need to post piccies of lulu you need to do through photobucket or something like that

Xx
steve75
steve75
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by margy Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:16 pm

lulum2 wrote: hi there! i will put up her pics soon! are they your birds on your post? they are beautiful!! Very Happy

Yes, they are mine, plus another three that are not up there and thank you, though I'm bised, they are beautiful Very Happy
margy
margy
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by hollie Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Hiya deb and welcome! I remember reading lulus story on Facebook, it would be brill if you could share it with everyone, it's one that really tugs on the heart strings Smile if you struggle with photobucket, feel free to email piccies to one of us and we'll get them up Smile
hollie
hollie
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi hello everyone! 247782
Looking forward to the photos and hearingmore

Di
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotmum Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Hello and a warm welcome Smile
parrotmum
parrotmum
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:24 pm

oh wow! what a lovely welcome! thank you guys! have to get the hang of this site and where to post! I will spend some time getting used to it and try pictures, i have 'use.com' photo host, that may work?? Looking forward to getting used to everyone and what birds they have!! Bare with me and you won't be able to get rid of me ! ha ha!.

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Hello and Welcome to the forum!
Look forward to hearing more about Lulu and seeing pics!
Smile

If you have a photo host already there should be and IMG code for the photo. You just need to copy and paste the IMG code into the reply box on here and a pic should appear! If you need a hand give us a shout! Smile
Michelle
Michelle

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:49 pm

thanks Michelle, i will try that, want to put lulu's story up with pictures of her progress - where do i post her story? not sure !! Am loving Spike,Ollie, Toffee, Polly and Hamish!! Very Happy

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:04 pm

Probably best to put photos under Pictures of your Parrots with a write up? You can find it under the big heading of Media.
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:51 pm

diane wrote:Look forward to reading Lulu's story, we have a photo competition every month and the winner is put on the main site for the world to see Smile
i would love to put lulu in the competition!!

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Di T wrote:Probably best to put photos under Pictures of your Parrots with a write up? You can find it under the big heading of Media.
thank u!! will try that Smile

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by margy Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 pm

We have a photo competition every month, you can put what you like on there, as long as it's a bird!

margy
margy
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasuku Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:45 am

hello everyone! 247782 Hi and welcome, can't wait to hear all about your creatures, especially about Lulu's story.

Sue
Kasuku
Kasuku

Back to top Go down

Post by steve75 Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 pm

You figured out the pictures yet deb?

steve75
steve75
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:44 pm

just sat down to get on with it all, Lulu won't let me at the moment, she is demanding attention, she sees me on here and starts ' hello' and all the things that M2's do to get attention! off for a bit and back later with pics !

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:30 pm

hi everyone, have done the story and am trying to put the pics up , there is no IMG code to copy over , shall i email someone to get them on?

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:35 pm

http://www.use.com/60d855571daf393389ae

first picture when Lulu arrived... pale and sore
last two pictures with a healthier glow and put on weight.

I first found out about Lulu when I saw her picture on face book through friends that work in rescue, it’s mainly dogs I am involved with but when I saw a (side view) picture of lulu and knew she needed a home, something made me want to find out more. We have never had a parrot before but after a lengthy discussion, we decided we would take on Lulu, a 22 year old Moluccan Cockatoo, who was described as a feather plucker, that’s all we were told, and that she needed a new home.

It took two months of phone calls and chasing up the owner who wanted rid of Lulu, she was never in, never returned calls, we became more worried about Lulu, wondering what the hell was happening, hearing appalling stories about her life, but it was all heresay and as far as we were aware maybe the owner had changed her mind and wanted to keep her. But on the 13th July this year, a distressed bird finally came to us. She arrived with severe self-mutilation wounds and a completely feather plucked breast. The clever ‘side view’ picture of her on face book hid the severe wounds and extent of feather damage and loss. Her wings also damaged through continual self-harming so Lulu will never be able to fly. Her ‘home’ the cage she lived in was far too small for her she could not open and stretch her beautiful wings. As far as her history goes Lulu belonged to a man from when she was 8 years old to 20 years old. When he died he specified in his will that his family were to take care of Lulu. They did not, the story goes that they left Lulu alone in the house and visited her every now and then to give her tuna. This went on for six months and then she was donated by the family to a pet shop where she stayed for three months and then went to the woman who wanted Lulu out before coming to us. By this time Lulu had self mutilated almost to the breastbone in two areas and damaged her wings and pulled out all her feathers on her breast. It was a real shock to us when Lulu arrived in this condition, underweight, anemic, psychologically, emotionally and physically damaged. We have never owned a parrot before and this was to be a steep learning curve of sleepless nights, 24-hour watch to make sure she didn’t pick herself. We took her to an avian vet who gave her the once over and wanted to see her in 6 weeks. The wounds were not infected but very deep. We have had numerous people giving advice, most to put a collar or jacket on her but we have followed the advice of Steve from here! He has been the most helpful guy and been at the end of email whenever we have needed him, talked us threw some confusing, scary times and above all kept us calm! We took Lulu back to the vet after the 6 weeks were up and he insisted that Lulu needed an operation to stitch her up, and then to wear a collar round her neck. I had in the back of my mind all the time the words of Steve not to let them operate as her wounds were healing with the Vetricyn and the Aloa Vera and Cayinne Pepper we had been using under his advice, along with her diet he helped us with and everything else! I sent Steve pictures all the time so he could see close up the wounds. We talked to Steve on the phone and cancelled the operation that we had booked under duress. So glad we did Steve, as she is so much better! I think she would have been at those stitches and been more distressed than ever. Lulu has the habit of picking at her wounds but the habit is decreasing and a lot of the time she is just itching them and not hurting herself. Her feather growth is getting thicker and an orange glow glimmers off her feathers now. She has put on weight, and we distract her when she is interested in her chest.
It is now 3 months since Lulu arrived and turned our lives upside down! Now we cannot imagine life without her! She has the biggest ‘new house’ extra extra large! (from Scarletts) She can open her wings and she plays now and she talks and makes wonderful noises.

One thing the vet did uncover when we gave him the little documentation we had on Lulu was that Lulu was caught from her native country and shipped as far as we know, to the UK, we are in the dark as to all her history but needlesstosay, she has suffered badly throughout her life. After 22 years Lulu is now with us where we only just begin to pick up the pieces of the puzzle of her past, our aim is to heal the chaos and ill health that she has been left with.

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by Di T Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Thank you for sharing Lulus so very sad story Sad
She is so lucky to now live with you and her life has been turned around.
I just love her beautiful pretty face .
She will love you forever as you do her.
Di T
Di T
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by lulum2 Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

thank you! we adore her! she is so much happier than when she first arrived. So glad we found each other. Very Happy

lulum2

Back to top Go down

Post by steve75 Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Copied over to another topic xx
steve75
steve75
very chatty
very chatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum